Collectively and individually, we all have a role to play in creating supportive environments for healthy living. Thus, the Weight Coalition has developped tools to contribute to discussions and support the setting up of public policies to prevent and reduce weight problems. Feel free to share them in your network.
- Product: a varied offering to respond to a segmented market (summary of the report on the product)
- Price: a paying argument (summary of the report on the price)
- Place: a Sugar-Sweetened Beverage always at your fingertips (summary of the report on the place)
- Promotion: buying the approval of young people (summary of the report on the promotion)
- J’ai soif de santé ! aims to promote a healthy hydration by encouraging, normalizing and enhancing water consumption, in particular among children. It’s a social marketing campaign, whose goal is to build environments where water is the most accessible and attractive drink. Several free tools are available at soifdesante.ca, which allow decision-makers of all youth circles to take steps to create an environment conducive to water consumption;
- Lquid Sugar, not everyday!‘s objective is to make Quebecers aware of and inform them, in order to encourage them te reduce their sugar-sweetened beverages’ consumption.
Watch the videos below and share them to help family and friends give an exceptional place to sugary drinks.
- do you know how much sugar you drink? (available only in French)
- Impacts de la production et consommation d’une canette de boisson sucrée(available only in French)
- Impacts de la production et consommation d’une bouteille de boisson sucrée(available only in French)
School is an important living environment for young people. Considering its mission and the number of hours a child spends there each day, it shares the responibility with the parents as to the acquisition of healthy habits.
Health change at school
In 2017, for the 10th anniversary of the policy framework Pour un virage santé à l’école, the Weight Coalition has published the report Virage santé à l’école, 10 ans plus tard (available only in French), in which it presents its observations and recommendations.
For a quick reading, the report’s highlights are presented in four themes (available only in French).
- Alimentation à l’école
- Activité physique à l’école
- Image corporelle et stigmatisation à l’égard du poids
- Partenariats et communications sur les saines habitudes de vie à l’école
In 2013, the Weight Coalition put together two expert committees, who expressed recommendations for the government, the school community and the municipalities. These aimed at implementing the required conditions for schools to contribute to the developpement of young people’s food and culinary skills and to a more active lifestyle.
Tools for school boards
The following tools are for school boards. Their objective is to inform them on healthy habits at school and to support them into overcoming some of the challenges identified in the report Virage santé à l’école, 10 ans plus tard. The tools are flexible and can be adapted to the reality of each environment. They are only available in French.
- Être une école favorable à la saine hydratation
- Améliorer et planifier l’offre alimentaire lors des activités spéciales à l’école
As part of the J’ai soif de santé ! campaign, the Weight Coalition has created infographics illustrating environments that are conducive to healthy hydration in a variety of youth environments, including schools.
- Pour un environnement scolaire favorable à la consommation d’eau (available only in French)
In collaboration with various partners, the Weight Coalition has developped tools to support the municipalities willing to facilitate the adoption of healthy lifestyles and the establishment of healthy environments.
Tools for municipal councils
These turnkey tools present a convincing argument and a resolution model that can be reproduced and adapted to the needs and ambitions of each municipality. Several Quebec municipalities have already adopted them.
Promoting healthy hydration
- Facilitate access to free drinking water in public places
- Des établissements et évènements publics sans boissons sucrées (available only in French)
- Banning the sale of energy drinks in public buildings
Allowing free play
As part of the J’ai soif de santé ! campaign, the Weight Coalition has created infographics illustrating environments that are conducive to healthy hydration in a variety of youth environments, including municipalities.
- Pour un environnement municipal favorable à la consommation d’eau (available only in French)
Guide to restrict the establishment of fast-food restaurants around schools
Although municipalities do not have the power to control the type of food offering of a business or a restaurant, it is possible to restrict the establishment of new fast-food restaurants around schools. To learn about the possible planning options and the several benefits of taking action (downsizing of car transit and waste, support of school food policies, etc.), refer to the guide The school zone and nutrition: Courses of action for the municipal sector and its summary sheet.
The case study Limiting businesses with drive-trough service illustrates a successful approach in the borough of St-Laurent in Montreal.